Coming along in the next month or so a new pattern I'm working on called the PARTY DRESS which is designed with cowls at both the back and front. I sometimes worry that this HOW TO information is all a bit basic but just in case you're wondering here's how you add weights to a cowl neckline.
1. Off to the hardware shop you go. Locate the plumbing section and purchase some tap washers. For this example I'm using washers with a diameter of 23mm
2. Cut two pieces of fabric each 12cm long x 4.5cm wide
3. Fold in half right sides together and using your overlocker stitch the long edges together forming an open ended envelope.
4. Turn right side out, press and then insert a washer into each.
5. Push in the ends by a couple of cm's, slip stitch the opening closed and then topstitch in place on the facing edge of the cowl at the exact centre point.
All done. On the inside it will look something like this and when on the body will hold your cowl perfectly in place.